Competency categories in which technology skills are to be demonstrated:
- Word Processing
- Desktop Publishing
- Lesson Plan
Section I: Competency Category: Basic skills
Through the process of completing all the components of the portfolio, you will have successfully demonstrated the ability to do the following:
- Save files
- Create new folder, set up hierarchy
- Create shortcuts/alias
- Copy files
- Insert/Eject media
- Utilize software
- Launch applications
- Copy/Paste objects and text
- Use the mouse to highlight text and graphics
10. Control Panel Settings
11. Name Diskette/Zip or other media
You will be required to turn in a paper copy of the portfolio, as well as a disk copy. (multiple if necessary) Your disk should be neatly organized in a hierarchy of folders.
- All Individual portfolio assignments will be placed inside a folder titled Final Portfolio.
- All of your files should be stored in individual folders. These folders will be named after the title of each portfolio requirement.
- Each of the files should have a shortcut icon with it in the same folder.
- Name your floppy disk.
- Create a shortcut for each of the final files.
Section II: Competency Category: Word Processing/Desktop Publishing
Portfolio Requirement: Use MS Word to create a word processed document with with the following parameters:
- Divided into columns.
- Contains a scanned image or image from a digital camera.
- One clip art image.
- Wrap text around one object.
- Newspaper-like header.
- Use of 2 different fonts and text sizes.
- Bulleted text.
- A Date Field.
- A page number field and a footer.
10. Word processor created or imported table.
11. Word processor created or imported graph.
12. Print and Save a copy for your portfolio.
Section III: Competency Category: Telecommunications
- Using MS Outlook send, receive, and respond to e-mail. This component will be administered through your assigned TLT. You will be corresponding with him/her during the program. Print out samples of sent and received correspondence and put them in your portfolio.
- Using a web-based search engine, locate five useful sites on a topic in your course area. Include these in a word-processed document, save and print them out for your portfolio
- Using a web page editor, create a web page with the following criteria:
- 2 Internet images
- Main page and two linked pages
- One of the pages should be a resource page containing links to the five sites from item 2.
- Save and print out your pages for the portfolio.
Section IV: Competency Category: Database
Using MS Access create a sample database that can be used in your classroom. The following activity can be used but it is preferable that you create a database that can be used in the context of your portfolio.
- Create a database of student information with at least eight fields containing students in your classes. These might include such fields as last name, first name, team, homeroom, textbook number, etc.).
- Sort the last names in ascending order. (A-Z)
- Print the list view of your database and add to portfolio.
- Create a query to retrieve names of all students in a particular homeroom and print a list to view.
- Create a report form with all student information included and Print a report for one student record, and add to your portfolio.
- Save the database file to your portfolio disk.
- Develop or use an existing database to deliver integrated lesson. Use the list of curriculum suggestions as a springboard for developing a database which relates to your particular lesson topic.
- Save the lesson plan file to your disk and print a copy to be kept in portfolio.
Section V: Competency Category: Spreadsheet
- Using MS Excel create a basic spreadsheet using your portfolio theme with rows, columns and headings.
- Complete calculations formulas. Must include basic addition and multiplication.
- Create a graph from a spreadsheet.
- Insert spreadsheet and graph into word processing document.
- Save and Print the document for your portfolio.
Section VI: Competency Category: Multimedia Presentation
- Create a presentation using Microsoft PowerPoint with the following criteria:
- Minimum of 5 pages
- There should be a common element throughout each page. (Watermark)
- There should be 3 different images, either one digital camera image, one clip art image, one image cut and pasted from the Internet, or self-created image.
- There should be one chart and one graph.
- The presentation should stand alone with each page being visible for 12 seconds.
- Some form of animation should be used, transition or built into the page.
- Save and print a copy of each page and keep them in your portfolio.
Section VII: Competency Category: Lesson Plan
Create a lesson plan that demonstrates the integration of technology. See the portfolio sample for additional information.