The JMHS School Community:
Recently we have had an increase in the physical altercations between our students. We are asking for your support in order to de-escalate some issues before they arise at school. Today, we had a Student Body Assembly where I addressed the students on some of the poor choices made by their peers, as well as their potential involvement as witnesses or those who want to “see the action.” As parents I am asking for you to do the following:
1) Please monitor your student’s choice of the social media network. Two out of the last three altercations that have occurred started on Facebook.
2) Students are being very uncivil and rude when speaking to each other. The use of profanity has also increased. If a student is having a bad day, the slightest thing could push them over the edge, potentially leading to a physical altercation.
3) Speak with your student and ask how things are going at school. A lot of our students are letting things build up and then releasing their emotions in a negative way.
Any student that is involved in an altercation will receive a 10 day Out of School Suspension and could be charged for assault. Repeat offenders could also be removed from James Monroe High School. We re-iterated these consequences to our students today.
I would also like to take this time to remind everyone of our Schoolnet Portal Information Session on March 30, 2011 at 5 P.M. We will cover the following topics:
1) How to use the Schoolnet Parent Portal
2) How to Calculate Your Child’s GPA
3) Bullying and Cyberbullying
I thank all of you personally for your continued support of The James Monroe High School. Our students are going through a rough time right now and it is our job to get them back on track.
The JMHS Family:
I wanted to take this time to welcome everyone to the beautiful days of Spring. Our Spring Sports teams have been chosen, and the warm weather is beginning to surface.
We need to remind our students to remain focused on the goals that they established at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, some of our student body has made some poor decisions in the past few weeks, and it has affected their grades and status at The James Monroe High School.
We are asking for our parents to monitor their student’s forms of communication. If it is cell phones, social networks, or the like, please keep a close eye out on the content. Our students have so many methods they use to communicate, that I know the task can be difficult, but our students sometimes post or say things that can lead to conflict in school or out in the community.
We are at a stretch where our students do not have any holidays until Spring Break. We like to call this “crunch time” in the field of education. Our next interim will be distributed on March 18, 2011. Please check your student’s progress. We will also release the Schoolnet Parent Portal soon.
We need your support in order to make sure that our students reach their potential. Togther is the only way this will happen.
John B. Gordon III