Walker-Grant Inquiry Time
Through common activities, the objective of Inquiry Time is to explore interests and grow students’ skills with specific learning goals. These experiences can then be referenced in any class or interaction to further reinforce and practice supporting acclimation into middle school, improving academic performance and preparing for their 8th grade community project and high school beyond.
Walker-Grant Inquiry Time is a monthly meeting between scholars and their supervisor(s) providing the opportunity to use content, explore interests, make connections, grow skills and build relationships through dedicated, directed time with the support of a practitioner supervisor. Each student is assigned a supervisor, kind of like a homeroom, to meet with regularly during the school year. Students will find their supervisor assignment posted in the building prior to the meetings. Scholars meet with the same teacher and group each time although the location may change and is provided in advance. Scholars are introduced to different activities and given time to complete their work during Inquiry Time. This is not a specific content course with an assigned grade, but scholars may be given feedback for their efforts. On Inquiry Time days, students will follow a modified assembly bell schedule where they will visit each class during that day for a shortened amount of time and then at the end of the day report to their supervisor for 70 minutes of Inquiry Time from 1:30-2:40pm. These meetings happen the 4th Wednesday of each month with exceptions noted and subject to change.
October 18, 6-8pm, Community Connections Night
December 19 (3rd) revised Monday December 17
January 23 revised Wednesday January 16
April 17 (3rd)
May 8 (2nd), Showcase during the day and evening
- 6th grade will grow executive function skills to specifically support the transition to middle school. No required work is anticipated outside of these meetings.
- This project is partially made possible by a grant from The Haven Make a Difference Fund of The Community Foundation
- 7th grade will grow team building, communication and collaboration skills to prepare for their 8th grade community project and high school beyond. No required work is anticipated outside of these meetings.
- 8th grade will have assistance and small group work sessions for the IB MYP Community Project.
- Students are given the community project handbook and other materials. Students may work individually or form groups of two or three. However, the groups must be formed within their Inquiry Time classroom. Grouped students may share the responsibility of each stage and its requirements, but he/she must still do his/her own process journal and a portion of the presentation to their supervisor.
- This is not a specific content course with an assigned grade, but scholars will be assessed on the process and given feedback for their efforts by their supervisor. This does not have to be an additional thing but rather an extension of something they already are doing or want to do. Students will have to complete some of their project outside of the approximately 7-9 hours spent in Inquiry Time. Part of the project is tracking their actions and process. Scholars will have the opportunity to share their product with peers and families in the spring, similar to a science fair. Successful project completion will earn a FCPS W-G MYP Year 1-3 completion certificate at 8th grade graduation!
- The project was introduced to students during Civics classes, during inquiry time last year and parents obtained information at different W-G events. Please visit our FCPS website for further resources http://www.cityschools.com/ib/ or contact Ms. Destiny Gebhart, the community project liaison: firstname.lastname@example.org , (540) 372-1145 ext. 2294.
Presentations/Resources/Documents for Scholars & Families:
- October 18, 6-8pm, Community Connections Night
- October 24
- November 28
- December 17 (revised date)
- January 23
- February 27
- March 27
- April 17 (3rd)
- May 8 (2nd), Showcase during the day and evening