Hand washing is the most important deterrent to the
transmission of common infections.
- WET your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- LATHER your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure to lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- SCRUB your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- RINSE hands well under clean, running water.
- DRY hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Handwashing tips provided by the CDC.
Handwashing Fact Sheets